Labels used in the freezer are especially vulnerable because they get separated from the food or do not last well due to moisture and temperature changes. A good idea to label frozen goods is to collect some of those plastic tie tags that are used to close the plastic bags in which baked goods and other grocery products are packaged. Then, affix a brief Dymo description of the food to be stored to the tag (such as "peas" or "gb" for green beans) and slip the clip end of the tag onto a sturdy rubber band. These can be slipped around bags or packages of foods to be frozen and can be used almost indefinitely. If one of the rubber bands breaks, it is a simple matter to replace it.
Another idea is to use 4 x 6 or 3 x 5 durable clear-view cards such as ones that can be purchased from Ann Morris: http://www.annmorris.com (The cards come in packs of 50.) There is enough room on the card to braille the date made/bought, when it should be used as well as the product name. The trick here is to double bag the product with Ziplock bags and put the card just inside the outer bag. If the card is placed facing outward, the braille can be read through the outside of the Ziplock bags without having to open them. Double bagging products also serves to prevent freezer burn to foods. People who do a lot of baking may want to add baking instructions to the cards.
Braillable Labels and Sheets from APH
These clear, blank self-adhesive labels can be brailled and used to label items around the home, school, and office, such as: household appliances; canned goods; greeting cards; books; CDs; folders. The labels come in a variety of packages and sizes for convenience. The pre-cut, peel-off Large and Small labels accommodate braille lines that are 15 cells wide, with four lines fitting on the large and two on the small labels. Full-Size and Pin-Fed Sheets offer more room for brailling and can be cut to the desired size. A printed SimBraille sheet is included with each package to assist in determining size and placement.
Assorted Label Pack (5 Large Sheets, 5 Small Sheets, 10 Full-Size Sheets, 30 Pin-Fed Sheets):
Catalog Number: 1-08871-00
Small Label Pack (10 Sheets, 18 labels (3.87 x 0.95) per Sheet):
Catalog Number: 1-08872-00
Large Label Pack (10 Sheets, 10 Labels (3.875 x 1.75) per Sheet):
Catalog Number: 1-08873-00
15 Sheets (8 1/2 x 11, full-size):
Catalog Number: 1-08874-00
30 Continuous Sheets (8 1/2 x 11, pin-fed):
Catalog Number: 1-08875-00
Click this link to purchase Braillable Labels and Sheets from APH.
Sherlock Talking Label Identifier
The Sherlock Talking Label Identifier is a hand-held digital voice recorder with each recorded message keyed to an adhesive label or plastic disk tag. Labels or tags can be attached to clothing, medications, packaged products, frozen foods, documents, books, CDs, anything you wish to identify. Includes 25 labels, 10 tags and carrying case.
Sherlock Talking Label Identifier: Catalog Number: 1-07410-00
Extra Adhesive Labels (pack of 25):
Catalog Number: 1-07411-00
Extra Plastic Tags (pack of 10):
Catalog Number: 1-07412-00
Click this link to purchase the Sherlock Talking Label Identifier, now ON SALE!
MagneTachers: Magnetic Labels from APH
MagneTachers are magnetic labels that attach to metal objects, are easily removable, and re-attachable! You can create labels in large print, braille, and for the Sherlock Talking Label Identifier (sold separately).
- Create, use, store, and reuse labels for canned goods
- Read, write, order and re-order sets of words or numbers on a classroom magnet board
- Make labels on metal desks and file drawers that everyone can read
MagneTachers for Making Large Print Labels
- Includes two MagneTacher rolls, each 120 inches long, and instructions in print and braille
- Select from two heights -- half inch or inch, depending on the print size you need
- Write directly on the paper side of the MagneTacher, which provides a smear-resistant surface for a bold line pen or marker
- Cut label from the roll and place on metal surface
MagneTachers for Making Braille Labels
- Includes two MagneTacher rolls, half inch tall and 120 inches long, with instructions in print and braille
- Emboss MagneTachers with braille labelers and slates with half-inch wide alignment guides
- Braille on the non-magnetic side of the label; its white vinyl coating helps braille dots stay firm
- Cut label from the roll and place on metal surface
MagneTachers for Making Small Braillable Labels
- Includes two MagneTachers sheets, each holding 18 MagneTachers and instructions in print and braille
- These MagneTachers are magnetic strips only. You can make them braille labels by adhering APH's Braillable Labels: Small Braillable Labels to them (labels sold separately Small Label Pack, 1-08872-00 and Assorted Label Pack, 1-08871-00)
- Small Braillable Labels hold two lines and fifteen braille cells
- Press a completed label onto the non-magnetic side of the MagneTacher and place on metal surface
MagneTachers for Use with Sherlock Labels
- Includes two MagneTachers sheets, each holding 12 MagneTachers and instructions in print and braille
- MagneTachers for use with Sherlock labels include an additional pack of 25 Sherlock labels
- NOTE: You must have the Sherlock Talking Label Identifier (sold separately), 1-07410-00, to use these MagneTachers
- Use, remove, and re-use Sherlock labels on metal objects as often as you like
Catalog Number: 1-07417-00
For Making Larger Print Labels: (1 inch high, two 120 inch rolls):
Catalog Number: 1-07418-00
Click this link to purchase the MagneTachers Magnetic Labels: For Making Large Print Labels.
For Making Braille Labels (0.5 inch high, two 120 inch rolls):
Catalog Number: 1-07416-00
For Making Small Braillable Labels (includes two sheets, 18 labels per sheet):
Catalog Number: 1-07415-00
Click this link to purchase the MagneTachers Magnetic Labels: For Making Braille Labels.
For Making Sherlock Labels (two sheets, 12 labels per sheet):
Catalog Number: 1-07413-00
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, Kentucky 40206-0085
Toll Free: 800-223-1839
Web site: http://www.aph.org
APH Shopping Home: http://shop.aph.org