Reading Thermostats, Scales And Other Measuring Devices
Talking thermometers, scales, calculators, and other devices are available at many stores.
Setting thermostats and appliance dials
You can mark thermostats and dials on stoves, washers, dryers, televisions, and other appliances by placing dots of silicone caulking or plastic on dial settings. The dial is set by matching one of these dots with a dot placed on the backboard above the dial at the "On" location. Place these dots at frequently used settings. These can be used as reference points to estimate other settings. If desired, use a color that contrasts with the appliance to enhance visibility.
Two products ideal for marking dials and other household equipment are silicone caulking, available at most hardware stores, and believe it or not, fingernail polish! It can easily be applied in dots and is available in bright colors.
This tip is used by special permission from:
Oregon Commission for the Blind
535 SE 12th Avenue
Portland, OR 97214
This device magnifies temperature settings on thermometer to almost 2x their size! Snaps easily and inconspicuously onto any existing Honeywell thermostat.
Click this link to purchase the Thermostat Magnifier from SeeMoreVision.com.
Talking Cooking Thermometer
Use this large-display talking thermometer for cooking, hobbies, gardening, and much more!
Easy to Use
- Simply press the on/talk button on the front and within one second the thermometer is ready
- Apply probe to medium to be measured
- Wait a few seconds to allow probe tip to reach full temperature
- Press the same on/talk button to hear the temperature
- Always clean probe after each use
- Slide probe into convenient protector provided to store for next use
- Speaks the temperature at a touch of a button
- Easy-to-read LCD Display, large 3/8-inch digits, great for low vision users!
- Accurate temperature reading within seconds
- Select Fahrenheit or Celsius with a touch of a button
- Contoured design fits comfortably in your hand
- Automatically turns off after 10 minutes to maximize battery life
- Hinged battery door, permanently connected
- Requires 2 AAA batteries (included)
Measures 9.25 inches long x 2 inches wide.
Note: This thermometer is not for medical use and is not available on quota.
Catalog Number: 1-03992-00
Click this link to purchase the Talking Cooking Thermometer from APH.
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, Kentucky 40206-0085
Toll Free: 800-223-1839
Web site: http://www.aph.org
APH Shopping Home: http://shop.aph.org