Five great channels of round-the-clock programming from the American Council of the Blind. Listen worldwide on the Internet to ACB's premiere radio service.
From Director Chrissie Cochran, to talk show hosts, to "deejays", to musicians, ACB Radio is by, for and about blind and visually impaired people. With volunteers and listeners on five continents, ACB Radio is truly an international service.
Here's a look at what you will find on ACB Radio:
- ACB Mainstream: The flagship channel of ACB Radio brings you interviews and information on timely topics such as technology, upcoming events, important issues and much more. Some of the shows allow listeners to call in and ask questions or make comments. Best of all, many of the programs on ACB Mainstream are archived in the On Demand section, so if you miss one you can catch it at a later time. The archive also is a great resource for information on issues relating to the blind or visually impaired.
- ACB Cafe: Come on in and listen to great music from blind and visually impaired musicians. From the famous to the not-so-famous, you'll be entertained round-the-clock by lots of talented folks. Coming soon: Hear a song you like on the Cafe and buy the CD right then and there!
- ACB Treasure Trove: Calling all old-time radio fans! This is the place for you! 24/7 shows from the golden days of radio. Drama, comedy, mysteries - it's all there, just waiting for you to tune in.
- ACB Interactive: Blind people from around the world host their own shows, featuring music they love and want to share with you. Listen in; you'll never know what's coming up next.
- ACB World: This is the newest stream to the ACB Radio family. Tune into international programming from a blindness perspective.
Programming is broadcast in two-hour blocks on ACB Mainstream. A block may consist of one two-hour show, or of two or more shorter shows that together make up two hours of programming. New programming begins at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time each evening, and repeats every two hours for the next 24 hours.
Country music star Ronnie Milsap was a recent guest on the Mainstream. The 90-minute chat with Ronnie is now in the On Demand section available from the ACB Radio homepage.
Also check out the On Demand section for past broadcasts of Main Menu, a show about the latest technology for blind and visually impaired people. The current edition of Main Menu is heard each week on the Mainstream channel beginning at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Tuesday.
ACB Radio carries programming of regional interest. Sound Prints, a weekly talk show from the Kentucky Council of the Blind, is a part of the Mainstream lineup beginning at 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on Wednesdays. Sound Prints includes a mix of local, state and national programming; something there for every listener.
Some state conventions, such as the semiannual conferences of the California Council of the Blind, are broadcast on ACB Radio; watch for announcements of these special upcoming events on the ACB Radio website.
ACB Radio broadcasts all general sessions live from the national convention of the American Council of the Blind each July. Also broadcast live from the convention are the Tuesday evening Friends in Art Performing Arts Showcase (an outstanding lineup of talent from within ACB), the ACB's Candidates' Forum (the Thursday evening question-and-answer session for anyone seeking a position on the ACB Board of Directors or ACB Board of Publications), and the annual convention banquet and entertainment. During the first part of convention week, listen for hellos from friends and news from vendors stopping by the ACB Radio Interactive booth in the exhibit hall.
So how can you join in on all the fun with ACB Radio? First you need a computer and an Internet connection. (High-speed connections work best, but are not an absolute necessity.) Obviously you already have both a computer and an Internet connection, or you wouldn't be reading this article.
You will also need a program such as WinAmp or Windows Media Player installed on your computer so the sound files will play. Go to: www.acbradio.org where you will find links to versions of these programs that work well with adaptive screen readers such as JAWS and Window-Eyes.
Back on the www.acbradio.org home page, you will find links to all five channels, plus links to the On Demand area. Start linking and listening. It's great!
Radio Hosts Wanted for ACB World
ACB Radio is looking for contributors to the ACB World stream, so if you are able to do a show in a language other than English, or know of an organization for the blind in another country that would like to have a program on the World Stream, or that already have a program running in their own country but would like a wider audience, then please write with details to email@example.com and let's build the stream.
This high quality stream will also be used for experimental programming, for example, if you want to do a program featuring binaural stereo, or, perhaps a program featuring electronic music, or something that won't fit on any of the other streams, then again, please write to ACB Radio.
ACB Radio Podcast Feeds Online
Listen to ACB Radio anytime anywhere using their podcast feeds which can be found from the ACB Radio Main Stream Replay page. Click Main Stream then Replay and you'll find the podcast feeds at the foot of the page.
ACB Radio Replay
The ACB Radio Replay service provides listeners with the opportunity to listen again to all recent ACB Radio Main Stream programmes from the previous seven days. This includes many shows which are not normally archived.
Please note, Each day's programming on ACB Radio Main Stream begins at 01:00 Universal Time which is equivalent to a previous evening in the United States. During the US Winter 01:00 Universal Time is 8PM Eastern 5PM Pacific, and for people who use daylight saving during the US Summer, Main Stream shows start an hour later locally at 9PM Eastern 6PM Pacific. This is the time when you should tune in to ACB Radio Main Stream for the first run of programmes, and the time at which you will hear ACB Radio shows before anyone else.
Following their first run on ACB Radio Main Stream, The full set of ACB Radio Main Stream programmes from each day can be replayed from this page at any time for up to one week.
To replay programmes which are first heard on Tuesday evenings in the US and which are recycled throughout Wednesdays, choose the link labelled Replay Wednesday.
To be absolutely sure they don't miss the beginning of the programme block, you will hear about 30 seconds of the proceeding programme from a previous block.
Links to ACB Radio Replays
- Replay Monday - Including: Marlaina.
- Replay Tuesday - Including: Tuesday Topics and Christian Connection.
- Replay Wednesday - Including: Main Menu and a highlight from the previous week.
- Replay Thursday - Including: Sound Prints, Blind Citizens Australia, Access All Areas and Cry Justice.
- Replay Friday - Including: World of Radio and a monthly magazine.
- Replay Saturday - Including: Blind Handyman and Blind Like Me.
ACB Radio Replay is also available as a series of podcasts. You will need a client like iPodder installed on your system in order to take advantage of the following feeds. Copy one or more of the following URLs into the Add Podcast Dialog of your Podcatching software.
Monday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=monday
Tuesday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=tuesday
Wednesday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=wednesday
Thursday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=thursday
Friday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=friday
Saturday - http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday
If you wish to download all ACB Radio Main Stream Replays, this will run to around 125MB per week, you can subscribe to the full Replay podcast feed at: http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=replay
blink bang radio
"My name is Shane Davidson and I am the station owner of a internet radio station called blink bang radio. We're looking for listeners and DJ's. We've already got a great lineup of DJ's, but there's room for more and if you've got talent, we'd love to have you."
"Click this link to visit us on the web at http://www.blinkbangradio.net".