Horizons for the Blind is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1977. Their mission is to improve the quality of life for people who are blind or visually impaired by increasing accessibility to culture, education, recreation and consumer information.
Horizons provides braille, large print, and audio cassette instruction in crafts, gardening, food preparation, and the operation of household appliances. A complete catolog of tactile pictures is also available.
Some interesting items at horizons include:
1. CRAFT POTPOURRI, a collection of easy to read, easy to handle booklets on knitting, crocheting, tatting and other crafts. Patterns and
helpful techniques are included.
The collection of booklets includes afghans, sweaters, slippers, seasonal and household items and much more.
2. KITCHEN POTPOURRI, a collection of easy to read, easy to handle booklets on foods and techniques for the kitchen.
The collection of booklets includes vegetables, fruits, meat, poultry, herbs and spices, candies, canning, freezing and much more.
3. "Seeing It Our Way", a monthly magazine with recipes, crafts, garden tips, brainteasers and much more!
4. Touch-a-bill, a service offered by Horizons for the Blind to assist utility companies, banks and other companies by providing bill statements in braille and/or large print to people with visual impairments.
5. Other items include, braille and large print menus, braille and raised letter signs, play notes.
For more information contact:
Horizons for the Blind
2 North Williams Street
Crystal Lake, IL 60014