How to Fold a Shirt
Fold a shirt like they do at professional laundry or clothing stores.
- Button the top button and the third button.
- Lay the shirt face-down on the folding surface. You should be looking at the back of your shirt.
- Smooth out any puckers or wrinkles, so the shirt is flat front and back.
- The first fold is the right side. Fold about one-third of the body toward the center of the shirt. The fold line starts at the center of the shoulder and ends at the tail. You should see the back of your shirt with about one-third of the front folded to the back.
- Neatly fold the sleeve forward, creating an angled fold at the shoulder. The sleeve should line up with the edge of the first body fold.
- Fold the left side in the same manner.
- Make a fold of several inches of the shirt tail.
- Fold up the bottom half of the partially folded shirt. The tail should be just behind the collar of the shirt now.
- Turn the entire shirt over. You should have a neatly folded shirt as you typically see at a professional laundry or clothing store.
You may use a flat rectangular cardboard template (or something similar, such as a magazine) that is sized to fit between the left and right body folds. This keeps your shirts uniformly folded. Place the template on your shirt after it is face down. Finish folding. You can slide the cardboard out after the final step.