Also known as a reef knot, the square knot is secure and easy to untie.
- Start with two pieces of rope that are close in diameter. We'll call them rope A and rope B for ease in describing this process.
- Hold the end of rope A in your left hand and the end of rope B in your right hand.
- Cross rope A over rope B to form an X.
- Wrap A once to the right around B, just like the first step in tying a bow in your shoelace. A is now sticking out to the right and B is to the left.
- Cross A over B again, forming another X.
- Wrap A once to the left around B.
- Pull on the free ends to tighten the knot.
This knot isn't recommended for weight-bearing situations.
This knot is specifically for joining ropes of equal diameter, and does not work well with mismatched ropes. It also does not hold well with nylon ropes.