If you've been wanting to get in on the portible MP3 player craze here's some software that will be of use.
Rockbox is an open source replacement firmware for mp3 players. It runs on a number of different models and allows those MP3 players to have their own screen reader. Players currently supported include:
- Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
- iRiver: H100 and H300 series
- Apple: iPod 4th gen (grayscale and color), 5th gen (Video), Nano and Mini 1st/2nd gen
- iAudio: X5 (including X5V and X5L)
- Additional models are in development
Click this link to visit the Rockbox development site: http://www.rockbox.org.
Brian Hartgen has created an audio presentation concerning how to install Rockbox onto an iPod.
Click this link to download the tutorial: http://www.hartgen.org/RockboxInstallIpod.mp3.
Accessible Electronics, a recent entrant in the accessible MP3 market, has relaunched their website to improve accessibility. The new site offers the ability to purchase their selection of media players modified with the Rockbox software. Weekly specials and accessories are also available.
Click this link to visit http://www.talkingmp3players.com.