I love listening to Star Trek audiobooks. It's so cool to hear the actual stars of the series reading the books. The only problem I have is that the MP3 files are often an hour or so in length and my bus ride into work is only 35 minutes.
Because I'm afraid of dropping my portible MP3 player, I often use one of those mainstream MP3 players, the ones that cost around $30, so if I drop the thing it's not a great loss. These MP3 players don't offer the ability to stop an MP3 and pick up where you left off. This means that I have to start over and try to fast forward through the file. Some players don't offer the fast forward feature, which would make listening to an audiobook almost impossible. I was sure happy to find a program called Audiobook Cutter.
Audiobook Cutter is an easy-to-use tool which splits large MP3 audiobook files into smaller ones without re-encoding. The split points are determined automatically based on silence detection. Because of this feature, long audiobook recordings can be cut into manageable albums with just a few clicks. The main purpose of this MP3 splitter is to make audiobooks more manageable in a user-friendly way: The split files can easily be used on mobile MP3 players because of their small-size and their duration allows smooth navigation through the book.
Audiobook Cutter is free software, licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) , which, among other things, means that the source code is available to the public.
- Fast MP3 cutting without re-encoding
- Splits large MP3 audiobooks with only three mouse clicks
- Automatic split point detection (silence based)
- User-friendly interface
- Management of audiobooks which consist of multiple files
- Average track length between 1 and 60 minutes
- Custom track name
- 'Silence Detection' threshold is selectable
- MP3 file drag and drop
- Audiobook Cutter is free software
- Automatic language detection: English, German and French
- Simple *.exe file, ready to run, no setup needed
- Runs on Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP
- Compatible with JAWS and Window Eyes
Click this link to download Audiobook Cutter: http://audiobookcutter.sourceforge.net.