TypeFaster is a typing tutor that teaches you how to touch-type. Touch-Typing is using the sense of touch rather than sight to find the key. Once you can touch-type you will not need to look at the keyboard to find the letters you want to type. Kids are not the only ones who can benefit from using TypeFaster. Adults can also learn to typeFaster too. Features include:
- Supports multiple keyboard layouts, including non-rectangular keys
- A clear indication of which fingers to use. This is the essence of touchtyping.
- A 3D typing game.
- Typing statistics and the option of practising the least accurate/slowest/custom keys.
- Keyboard is not a fixed size (resolution independent).
- Multi-user support.
- Teacher support (view student statistics).
- Interface for editing lesson files and game settings.
- Backspace support
- Right to left text support.
- Variable text size.
- Lesson files can be prose or poems.
- Lesson progress indicator.
- Completely free with full source code availability
TypeFaster comes in 3 versions: Standard, Accessible and Spanish. The Accessible version is for visually impaired or blind users. It uses Flite, a freeware text-to-speech engine to provide continuous voice support. Currently, only the US-English keyboard layout is supported with speech. The standard version supports the following languages: French, German, Portuguese, US-Dvorak, US-English, Hebrew, and supports the Numeric-keypad.
Click this link to learn more and download TypeFaster from SourceForge.net.