Occasionally, I get inquiries about Fidelco and their German shepherd dog guides from orientation and mobility professionals as well as potential clients and their loved ones. While searching the net, I found Fidelco at a Glance, which contains some pertinent facts about the organization.
- Fidelco is New England's only guide dog school. They have clients in 32
states and four provinces in Canada.
- Fidelco is a 501 (c) (3) and 509 (a) (1) public charity.
- Fidelco is dedicated to promoting increased freedom and independence for people
with visual disabilities by providing them with the highest quality German shepherd dog guides.
- The Fidelco shepherd is a "breed-within-a breed" with the physical structure and
temperament best suited for guide work.
- Fidelco pioneered "In Community Placement" in the U.S. Through this process, clients are trained with their guide dogs in the communities where they live and work. In
2006, their instructor-trainers traveled more than 100,000 miles to conduct In-Community
Placements and for client follow-up.
- Fidelco has more than 100 foster families who care for and socialize pups. This
on-going program means that they can meet the ever-growing demand for dog guides.
- Nearly half the dogs placed each year are successor dogs; dogs that follow in the
footsteps of recently retired Fidelco guides or dogs from other schools.
- Fidelco is an accredited member of the International Guide Dog Federation.
If you have questions regarding our admissions process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.