My oldest son is crazy about watermelon. When we get with friends for a cookout, we always know to get a watermelon and who will be first in line once its cut. The National Watermelon Promotion Board has a website to let us all know how healthy watermelon is, and that it can be a year round delight. Eating watermelon all year round? My son would love that.
I think one of the more interesting things about this site is the watermelon recipes. Who knew you could do so many fun things with watermelon? There are a ton of desserts, savory dishes and drinks to try.
On the navigation strip, along the top if you can see the screen, you'll find the following sections: Watermelon Lovers, Kids, Media, Retailers, Industry Members, Food Service, Educators and Health Professionals.
- Watermelon Lovers: Here you will find recipes, fun facts, nutritional information, statistics, carving and even how to select a watermelon. Did you know that a watermelon is 92 percent water? Do you want to know how seedless watermelons are grown? Would you like to find a fun new way to serve watermelon? Well, you can learn all of that and more in this section.
- Kids: Here you'll find fun ideas for things to do with watermelons with your kids, as well as, some games and activities they can play. Have you ever thought of making a jack-o-lantern with a watermelon? Well, now you can find out how.
- Media: This section provides resources for people in the media to do segments on watermelon. Whether it's an article or you need some photos, make sure you stop by this section. Could be good for student reports too.
- Retailers: Here you will find a very informative video on watermelon that the site provides for retailers to help them understand how best to market watermelon and why they should sell it year round. You'll also find consumer research, heart health information and why it's a lycopene leader.
- Food Service: This section reaches out to those who are in the food service industry. It offers them recipes and ideas on how to include watermelon on their menus.
- Educators: This section reaches out to teachers, offering them a toolkit, complete with lessons, games and activities, facts and kids recipes.
- Health Professionals: This section goes over the health aspects of watermelon consumption. Here you can learn all about what vitamins it has and how it can be included in a healthy diet. You can even learn how it can be beneficial to pregnant women and people with diabetes.
I hope this Website inspires you to go get some watermelon.
Click this link to visit http://www.watermelon.org.