Connect Your iPod to a TV
Using iPod's "TV-out" feature, you can view slideshows and videos from your iPod on a TV screen. There are a couple ways to do this depending on what kind of accessories you want to buy. These steps will walk you through ways you can connect a TV to an iPod.
Using the iPod AV Cable
Use the Apple iPod AV cable. This plugs into the RCA ports on your TV or VCR and is by far the easiest method.
- Connect the AV cable into your iPod. Plug the small end into the iPod where the earbuds would go.
- Connect the red RCA plug. This goes into the right audio input of the television or VCR. The colors should match.
- Connect the white RCA plug. This plugs into the left audio input of your TV. Connect the yellow RCA plug. This goes into the video input of your TV.
- Begin playing a video on the iPod.
Using the iPod Dock
Find the right input on your TV. First, try channel 3 or 4. Next, find an "Input" or "Video" button on your TV or remote and scroll through the options until the video appears.
- Use the Apple universal iPod dock. This lets you use S-video for a slightly better picture. Place the iPod in the dock.
- Connect the S-video cable to the S-video Out port on the dock. Connect the other end of the S-video cable to the S-video Input on the TV.
- Connect the AV cable to the Line Out port on the dock.
TV-out is only supported by iPod video and iPod photo. Click this link to visit Apple's support site to learn more about connecting an iPod and iPhone to a TV.