Lots of people who are blind or visually impaired use Skype to talk to one another. Why not add this functionality? style='margin-bottom: 0px;'>
How to Make a Visual Baby Monitor with Skype
from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Ever had Little Johnny crying when you are on the other side of the house and can't hear him? Here is how to set up a baby monitor on Skype.
- Set up a webcam so it records the baby both visually and audibly.
- Download and install Skype. Create an account specifically for this task.
- Customize your Skype settings. Go to Tools --> Options
- Under General Settings, choose "Start Skype when I start Windows" (or whatever your operating system is).
- Under Video Settings, check "Automatically receive video and screen sharing from...people in my Contact list only."
- Under Privacy, check to only allow people in your contact list. Then click on the "Show Advanced Options" button.
- Select "people in my Contact list only" for all settings.
- Under Call Settings, select "Only allow people on my Contact list to call me" then click on "Show Advanced Options".
- Select "Answer incoming calls automatically" and "Start my video automatically when I am in a call".
- Remember to Save all of these changes.
- Add your other Skype account to the contacts list. Add your baby's account to your contacts list.
- Turn down the computer volume. This is so it doesn't wake the baby when it turns on.
- Call the baby's Skype account. It should automatically answer and start the video.
- You can also add more accounts to the baby's contacts list, if your spouse wants to check in on the baby from work, for example.
- If you don't want to have a computer running 24/7, or the baby can't sleep with the noise, you can also consider buying a Videophone from Skype's online store.
- Avoid placing the webcam in the baby's reach, as this can be a choking hazard.
- Make sure that you allow only those people you want to see your baby in the contact list.
- How to Create a Baby Monitor with a Cell Phone
- How to Monitor Your Apartment With a Webcam While on Vacation
- How to Make a Webcam Into an Infrared Camera
- How to Turn a Regular Video Camcorder Into a Webcam
Sources and Citations
- Techlore.com - Research source for this setup.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make a Visual Baby Monitor with Skype. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.