Uninstall Windows Live Messenger
Windows Live Messenger, including current Windows Live Messenger 2009 and upcoming Windows Live Messenger 2010, has been made part of Windows Live Essentials, a group of programs that are freely available from Microsoft. As such, there is no longer a standalone Windows Live Messenger setup installer to install the popular instant messaging client program, previously and still commonly known as MSN Messenger.
As with the change to package Windows Live Messenger inside Windows Live Essentials, the messenger client is now installed via a unified installer which also installs other products such as Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Photo Gallery, Windows Live Toolbar, Windows Live Writer and Windows Live Movie Maker.
As Windows Live Messenger is now installed by Windows Live Essentials unified installer, the name and location of its uninstaller has changed.
Here’s how to uninstall Windows Live Messenger via the official uninstaller:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall a program or Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Windows Live Essentials, then click on the Uninstall or Change / Remove button.
- In the Windows Live program, select the Uninstall radio button and click the Continue button. Another option is “Repair” to fix any issue with a Windows Live program.
- You will be asked to select the programs you want to uninstall. Select the check box for Messenger and click the Continue button.
- Windows Live Messenger is uninstalled.
If for some reason, the official uninstaller for Windows Live Messenger cannot be used to uninstall the messenger client program, click this link to download the custom Windows Live Messenger uninstaller.