Developmental Guidelines for Infants with Visual Impairments: A Guidebook for Early Intervention
Developmental Guidelines from APH has been updated to include the latest research, theory, and practice. This thoroughly-researched manual describes what is known about the development of infants with visual impairments. It compares theories from many of the foundational theorists in the fields of infant development and vision.
- Visual impairment in infants (overview)
- Social-emotional development
- Communication development
- Cognitive development
- Fine motor development
- Gross motor development
- Functional vision development
- Use of the guidelines to develop intervention goals and strategies
- Developmental chart sources
- Selected resources for additional reading
In addition, intervention methods for infants with visual impairment have been reviewed and summarized in two ways:
- Narrative Chapters for each developmental area addresses critical issues and provide an overall perspective of intervention options.
- Developmental Charts that are organized into primary processes with specific indicators of those processes. The sequence, rather than expected ages for development, has been emphasized.
A form called "Summary of Developmental Strengths and Intervention Concerns" accompanies the text and is available in packets of ten as a consumable item. These forms are used to plan interventions for infants with visual impairments. They make a nice guideline for parents and professionals who want to know what the interventionist is doing, and what to do to support the work of the interventionist.
Note: Developmental Guidelines was designed mainly for professionals who serve infants with visual impairments. It is available in standard print, braille, HTML, and DAISY formats for full accessibility.
Print with CD Kit:
Catalog Number: 8-50701-00
Braille with CD Kit:
Catalog Number: 6-50701-00
Click this link to order Developmental Guidelines for Infants with Visual Impairments: A Guidebook for Early Intervention.
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, Kentucky 40206-0085
Toll Free: 800-223-1839
Web site: http://www.aph.org
APH Shopping Home: http://shop.aph.org