TADPOLE is a set of standardized tools that aids in performing functional vision evaluations or visual skills development activities. It is similar to APH's kit Tools for Assessment and Development of Visual Skills (ToAD), but is geared for younger learners. TADPOLE is a natural precursor to the ToAD Program.
Note: Materials from the ToAD kit are required to use the TADPOLE program.
TADPOLE does not provide a formal assessment—there are several excellent assessment tools available, including ISAVE from APH. TADPOLE provides materials that assist the educator as he or she performs vision assessments or activities. Note: TADPOLE also functions as the Vision Modality section for APH's Sensory Learning Kit (SLK).
The TADPOLE Practitioner's Guidebook is a collection of suggested activities, mainly for use with students who are very young (0-2 level), or who have communication and/or cognitive delays. These activities are functional, and uncomplicated, natural to the learner’s environment.
Practitioners should to purchase the ToAD kit prior to using the TADPOLE kit, since items from ToAD should be used when student's personal items are not available. Items from the ToAD Program are used with TADPOLE because they embody visual characteristics of objects that are typically helpful to students with low vision and cortical visual impairments. Some of these characteristics are:
- Simple, single color backgrounds
- Simple design
- Shiny or metallic objects
- Objects or materials colored red, yellow, and sometimes blue
- Familiarity of objects
Suggested uses for TADPOLE:
- As the Vision Modality for the Sensory Learning Kit by APH
- For creating fun, yet simple activities for students who are multiply disabled
- As Vision Assessment/Development Materials for use with ISAVE Precursor to ToAD
- Complete TADPOLE Program
- Object Cards
- TADPOLE Mini-Lite Box overlays
- Report of Visual Skills (10-pack)
- Black & White Coloring Cards
- Practitioner's Guidebook, in Large Print and in Braille
- Tasha Tadpole's Puzzle Book, in Large Print and in Braille
Note: The optional Soft Snap Puzzles are useful with both TADPOLE and ToAD activities.
Click this link to purchase the TADPOLE Kit from APH.
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, Kentucky 40206-0085
Toll Free: 800-223-1839
Web site: http://www.aph.org
APH Shopping Home: http://shop.aph.org