ManipulativesIncluded with the book is a hook/loop material storyboard and a group of manipulatives: birds, nest, eggs, tree, branches, grass, and a cat. The manipulatives are tactile symbols that are designed to assist the child in better understanding the text on each page of the book.
Basic Concepts Can Be Explored
- Counting -- the number of branches, eggs, birds, nest, and cat
- Left and Right -- as related to the tree, its branches, and positions of the bird(s), and cat
- Comparisons -- of lengths of branches and sizes of birds
- Top and Bottom -- of the tree and the page
- Around -- the tree
The Concepts Can Be Extended
- Go outside and explore different trees and their branches with your child
- Visit a pet shop and have him/her hold a bird
- Find a bird nest and let the child play with it
- Compare different eggs of birds and chickens with him/her
Topics for Discussion
- Why do birds sit on their eggs?
- Where do birds go when winter comes?
- What are the seasons of the year (sequence) and their difference?
- Why did the bird want to be safe from the cat?
- What kind of food did the bird find on the ground?
Catalog Number: 5-12301-00
Click this link to purchase The Best for a Nest.
American Printing House for the Blind, Inc.
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 6085
Louisville, Kentucky 40206-0085
Toll Free: 800-223-1839
Web site: http://www.aph.org
APH Shopping Home: http://shop.aph.org