Note: The kit contains a large print guidebook, the braille guidebook is available separately.
Optional ItemTactile Tangrams: Teacher's Guidebook, Braille (w/CD-ROM containing accessible files): 6-08439-00
Replacement ItemTactile Tangrams: Teacher's Guidebook, Large Print (w/CD-ROM containing accessible files): 8-08439-00
A tangram is an ancient Chinese puzzle consisting of seven pieces in three different shapes: triangle (2 large, 1 medium, 2 small), square, and parallelogram.
The materials and activities presented in APH's Tactile Tangrams make this timeless and popular puzzle accessible to students and adults with visual impairments and blindness.
The use of tangram puzzles encourages the development and reinforcement of many educational and recreational skills including spatial reasoning, shape recognition, size comparison, pattern replication, and independent problem solving. Many geometry concepts such as congruence, symmetry, sides and angles, fractions, measurement, area and perimeter, rotation/reflection, and concave/convex shapes are also reinforced.
These skills are also addressed:
- Visual/tactile discrimination
- Visual/tactile memory
- Visual/tactile spatial orientation
- Parts of a whole understanding
- Recreational/leisure skills
Tactile Tangrams Kit Includes
- 2 sets of Magnetic-backed Tangram Puzzle Pieces (for use on a metal surface)
- 2 sets of Translucent Tangram Puzzle Pieces (for use on a light box)
- 2 sets of Foam Tangram Puzzle Pieces
- 26 Tactile/Print Puzzle Frames
- Tactile/Print Puzzle Solutions showing a dissected view of each puzzle image
- Magnetic Strips for mounting puzzle frames to a metal surface
- Tactile/Print Grid Sheets
- Large Print Teacher's Guidebook (includes CD-ROM with accessible files)
- 3-Ring Storage binder
Recommended ages: 7 years and up.