The Things People Say
By Donna Jodhan
Sometimes, I like to just sit back and take a short journey down memory lane. One of my favorite journeys is to try and recall some of the funniest things that have either been said to me as a blind person or to one of my blind friends. I am not trying to poke fun at the sighted world but rather, I am hoping that this editorial will help to educate the sighted world. So, for better or worse, here are some of my favorite things.
- When a sighted person asks me if I could fax them a Braille copy of my article. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Braille, it is made up of a series of dots.
- When a sighted person says to a blind person with a guide dog “Isn’t it nice that your dog is able to see!”
- When a sighted person comes along and tells a blind person with a cane “Is this your ski pole?”
- When a sighted person says to another sighted person “Isn’t it nice that your blind friend is able to walk!”
- When a sighted person says to me: “I did not know that you could follow the news!”
- When a sighted person says: “I did not know that blind persons could work!”
I think that by now you get the picture so I’ll end my list here.
I'm Donna J. Jodhan your freelance writer and reporter wishing you a terrific day.
If you'd like to learn more about me, then you can visit some of my blog spots at:
(Donna Jodhan! Advocating accessibility for all)
(Weekly Saturday postings on issues of accessibility) http://www.sterlingcreations.ca/blog
(Weekly features on how to increase your success with your business ventures) http://www.sterlingcreations.com/businessdesk.htm